While visiting Europe, Father William DuBois, a young American priest, found inspiration in the story of Bernadette and had the opportunity to pilgrimage to Lourdes, celebrating his great devotion to Our Lady.
After having determined the need for a Catholic Church in Dunedin, Father DuBois was given permission by Archbishop Hurley and the Diocese of St. Augustine to construct a church on 34 acres of land that belonged to the Diocese.
December 8, 1957
Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, with Father DuBois as pastor, celebrated the first Catholic Mass in Dunedin on the stage of the Palms Theater. The dining room of the Jersey House Hotel was used for daily Masses, CCD classes, and various church group meetings.
December 7, 1958
Construction was completed on Our Lady of Lourdes Church and Social Hall and they were dedicated and blessed by Archbishop Hurley. The OLL community of 600+ parishioners finally had a home.
September 25, 1977
Construction was completed on a new, large, permanent church and Archbishop McLaughlin dedicated and blessed the finished church. The “old, provisional” church was then used for school and CCD classrooms, as well as for parish staff.
The multi-functional Conmy Center, a special events building, was completed and dedicated. The new activities center would coordinate everything from sporting events and performing arts for the school to community events and local concerts.
Msgr. William DuBois, Founding Pastor 1957-1979
Father Claude Brubaker 1979-1981
Father James Larkin 1981-1996
Father Thomas Madden 1996-2006
Father Gary Dowsey 2007-present